Take your body and soul into a state of well-being with the excellent wellness offer in Kamnik. Get ready for new climbing challenges and recharge in:
- Snovik Thermal Spa: a relaxing thermal world with fantastic swimming pools (indoor and outdoor thermal pools available), which also offers a range of wellness pampering activities. In addition, they feature the unique Kneipp hydrotherapy and various aquatic sporting activities;
- Slovenia Eco resort: where you will experience the magical and unique shepherd tradition of the Velika Planina region. Relax in the sauna or the outdoor swimming pool, enjoy a massage with a wonderful view of nature or visit natural energy points to regain your balance and well-being;
- energy point healing grove Tunjice: a health resort located in pristine nature. Experience deep relaxation by gifting yourself an energy day, massages, IR therapies or a session in the regeneration chamber, among other options.
Kamnik offers many opportunities for recreation and relaxation. The spectacular Kamniška Bistrica valley and the Kamnik Alps fuse into an ideal setting for a wide variety of sports:
- play volleyball at the volleyball courts at Pod Skalo, Stranje elementary school, or in Motnik;
- enjoy golf in a beautiful pine forest near the Volčji potok Arboretum;
- play tennis at the Pod Skalo complex or Virtus;
- try fly-fishing;
- explore mountain bike routes;
- take cycling tours on Velika planina;
- try the many activities at Area 70: zip line, combat arena (paintball, archery), Angry birds catapult, hillside zorbing, football, giant darts, zorbing football, giant shoe football, sumo, sumo boxing, table tennis, volleyball, etc. – for groups of 10+ people;
- the town’s local swimming pool.
Sporting events in Kamnik:Veronika’s run, an autumn running competition: every year on the second Saturday in October, the town centre of Kamnik is transformed into a running track;Alpe Scott Cycling Marathon: on the first Sunday in July, the villages and towns of the Kamnik-Savinja Alps host the toughest cycling marathon in Slovenia, which starts and finishes in the centre of Kamnik.
Kamnik is famous for its rich variety of local culinary traditions, so take the time to discover the sinfully good culinary specialties in:
- Zeleni rob (Velika planina) offers excellent local cuisine;
- The Repnik Inn offers a selection of local dishes under the ‘Flavours of Kamnik’ brand;
- Grajska terasa (the Castle Terrace), a beautiful viewpoint of the Stari grad (Old castle) above Kamnik, offers home-cooked meals under the brand ‘Flavours of Kamnik’;
- Vratarnica, a cafeteria located in upper Kamnik, offers delicious dishes made with local ingredients – many vegetarian and vegan options available;
- The Repanšek Inn is home to a wide variety of homemade local food;
- The Korobač Inn offers a varied selection of local food;
- Pri Čibru in Tuhinj Valley serves excellent home-cooked dishes;
- Izba in the Tuhinj Valley also offers home-cooked food;
- Mili vrh, an old family inn, located in the village of Žale (about one kilometre from the centre of Kamnik) has been serving excellent local cuisine for decades;
- The Inn Pri Slavki in the Podgorje village near Kamnik, offers great traditional local food.
Kamnik won’t leave any beer lovers disappointed either, as it offers an extremely wide selection of craft beers to choose from. It is home to four breweries:
- Maister Brewery;
- Mali Grad Brewery;
- Domestic Brewery Pod Menino;
- Barut Brewing and Blending.
Relax and recharge your batteries with the sinfully good coffees at:
- Café Rotovž, a cosy garden café in Kamnik;
- Café Veronika located in the city centre, which prides itself in a wide variety of excellent coffees, cakes and ice creams;
- Caferacer Café on in the main square, a pleasant café with excellent coffee and, among other things, a variety of excellent beers;
- Toscana Patisserie, a place where you can enjoy coffee and delicious cakes;
- Sladoledna soba (Icecream Room), where you can enjoy premium ice cream and coffee in the most beautiful room in Kamnik. They also offer vegan ice cream.
Spend unforgettable evenings in:
- The Mali Grad bar and pizzeria where they serve delicious ice-cold beers from the Mali Grad brewery;
- Bar Rok on the beautiful Šutna street in the centre of Kamnik;
- Caffe Antonio, where sports fans can watch all the major sporting events on a big screen while enjoying a drink and tasty sandwiches;
- A blues bar, which is a treat for music lovers.
- KUL PETEK: In the summer, every Friday the Evropa park in Kamnik transforms into a cosy living room with sun loungers, tables and a pleasant ambience with music, where you can try the local culinary delicacies and refresh yourself with Kamnik beers.
Kamnik is one of the most beautiful Slovenian medieval cultural gems. Thanks to its varied history, it features many cultural monuments and a rich architectural heritage. When in Kamnik, the following are a must-see:
- Mali grad (Little Castle);
- Stari grad (Old Castle) above Kamnik;
- Šutna street;
- the Parish Church of Our Lady Immaculate;
- Lactarjeva hiša, the oldest house in Kamnik;
- the Franciscan Monastery in Kamnik and its Franciscan Library, one of the oldest libraries in Slovenia;
- Rudolf Maister’s birthplace;
- Zaprice Castle and museum;
- the Miha Maleš Gallery;
- the Pogled Gallery; and
- Hiša Keramike (The House of Ceramics).
In the vicinity of Kamnik, you can visit:
- The Mekinje Monastery;
- The Budnar Homestead;
- St Anne’s Church in Tunjice;
- St Benedict’s Church in Stranje; and
- The Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows in Velika Planina.
You can take part in traditional local events:
- Days of National Costumes and Clothing Heritage: the largest ethnological festival in Slovenia, attracting more than 30,000 visitors each year. The festival takes place every year in September;
- Kamfest: in mid-August, the streets and parks of Kamnik are full of musical rhythms, children’s and theatre improv shows, exhibitions, open-air cinema, dancing, and unforgettable fun for all ages;
- International Vintage Car Show “A”: an event for vintage car and motorcycle enthusiasts, held in August;
- Veronika’s Festival: the biggest children’s festival in Kamnik, held at the end of May.
Kamnik hosts many concerts, theatre performances, exhibitions and literary evenings, travel lectures, etc. throughout the year, so check out the wide range of events at the official webpage of Kamnik or just ask us.
Discover the hidden nature spots in Kamnik and the surrounding area. The beautiful Alpine world and the Kamniška Bistrica valley offer many opportunities for active pastime. Check out:
- Arboretum Volčji potok (the most visited botanical park in Slovenia);
- Velika Planina (on foot or by pendulum);
- the Shepherd Trail “Po stopinjah pastirjev on Velika planina”;
- the Vetrnica mountain cave on Velika planina;
- the Predaselj gorge;
- the Kopišnice waterfall;
- the spring of the Kamniška Bistrica River;
- the Orglice waterfall;
- the Dovja Griča cave in Tiha dolina; and
- the Memorial Park, dedicated to the people who died in the Kamnik-Savinja Alps.